Saturday 23 March 2013

La Crema

Tuesday night was the final night of Fallas, and a good job it was too.  We were shattered!  Nonetheless we dragged ourselves out to see the smaller infantil fallas burnt at 10pm.  I wore my bluson and panuelo that I had bought for our school Fallas celebration on Thursday with quite a few layers underneath to keep warm!


We reached the end of our road and the first infantil was about to be lit.  Cue fireworks that made me jump a mile!


Another 100m along the road and the next one had just been lit.  


I couldn't believe how close people were standing to them. 






Although they're all supposed to be lit at 10pm, we saw 2 more on our way into town.  


It's really quite creepy seeing all these child like statues burn like this.


  
The next one we came to (somewhere in Canovas I think) was lit just as we were there and the firecrackers were so loud they nearly gave me a heart attack.  I suppose we were only about 6 feet away from them though.




We decided that we would head for the city centre, to Plaza de Ayuntamiento for the burning of the falla there.  It was one of the biggest, and there were fireworks too, though we had to wait until 1am for it to start.

  
  
After waiting almost 2 hours, it was finally time.  And it couldn't have been a more exciting end to the week.  Rich and I took videos but I'm having problems uploading them and so I'll have to try and do it another time. It's safe to say that the volume and intensity of everything to do with Fallas was just insane but this took the biscuit.  Incredible!

After such a adrenaline fuelled evening, walking home through quiet streets, with smouldering piles of rubble was eery.  In some places there was no sign of the falla or rubble at all because the street cleaning team had already been and washed the road.  It really felt like we'd had a surreal dream, not helped by the fact that there is no sign of Fallas on the streets today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin